Transport Research and Innovation Grants 2021
The Department for Transport (DfT), in partnership with Connected Places Catapult, is offering Transport Research and Innovation Grants (TRIG 2021) to fully fund proof-of-concept research projects in support of innovative ideas or concepts that facilitate a better transport system.
The TRIG Programme aims to;
- Foster innovation to improve UK transport.
- Generate growth in the transport sector.
- Build links between policy teams in DfT and innovators.
While the competition encourages applications with innovative ideas across all areas of transport as part of our traditional open call, some grant funding has been ringfenced for projects addressing COVID-19 Recovery and Resilient Transport Systems, Maritime Decarbonisation and Future of Freight challenges.
Eligibility and Scope
Under TRIG 2021, SMEs and universities can apply for a grant of either ≤£30k or ≤£100k. We anticipate awarding at least 50 grants in total. For the £30k grant, we would expect applicants to progress their technology from TRL 2 (basic research) to TRL 4 (proof of concept/small scale prototype). For the larger £100k grant within the Future of Freight challenge, we would expect technologies to start at TRL 2 and progress to a higher level of technological development – TRL 5 – by the end of the project delivery period. This will include operational testing of the technology within its intended environment.
In order to apply to this scheme, you must be:
- Based in the UK or have a UK registered office; and
- A business or university of any size
For more information on the scope of this competition, please refer to the Grant Specification document.
TRIG competitions are designed to de-risk the development of novel technology and will support the most promising and beneficial products as they launch within their intended markets.
Key features of TRIG:
- It is 100% funded
- Technical and commercial oversight is available from DfT, Connected Places Catapult and their partners
- Participation in workshop activities with other projects and Government organisations is encouraged
- Follow on support is available from the Connected Places Catapult, including the chance for SMEs participating to enter their SME development programme
- The opportunity to take part in showcasing events designed to attract onward investment and collaboration.
How to apply
Applications are now closed, you can see the TRIG 2021 winners here.
In helping you prepare your application, please read through the following documentation (which is available by clicking the above link).
- Application Guidance
- Grant Specification
- Scoring Criteria
- Grant Funding Agreement – terms & conditions
- Privacy Notice
Equality and Diversity
Promoting equality of access to our competitions and supporting a diverse portfolio of companies is integral to both the Department for Transport and the Connected Places Catapult. We seek to ensure that the organisations we work with are also committed to demonstrating equality, diversity and inclusion practices in both current and future projects and operations.
You can re-watch the Application Support and Information webinar that we held on the 18th November here.
If you are interested in finding out more information about the grants or have any queries, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org