Sustainable Housing Futures Community of Practice
Sustainable Housing Futures (SHF) is an initiative co-led by Connected Places Catapult and Reall to drive climate-smart, clean growth in African & Asian housing sectors & cities, by leveraging world-class UK capabilities. Our initial four focus countries are Pakistan, India, Nigeria and Kenya.
One of our aims is to support UK businesses with growth plans in these four affordable housing markets. In doing so we plan to help grow the UK’s role in an uncrowded global housing market worth an estimated £14 trillion.
Themes we envisage focusing on include:
- Constructing climate-smart, affordable homes
- Increasing Access to End User Finance
- Unlocking Regulatory Barriers to Scale
In delivering against these themes, SHF will draw upon the UK’s expertise to support the housing ecosystem, including: finance, professional skills, deep public sector capabilities, green energy, materials innovation, evidence, research, data and technology. We are initially focusing on markets in Pakistan, India, Nigeria, and Kenya.
We are now creating a SHF Community of Practice as an initial step in supporting UK businesses interested in, or already working across Pakistan, India, Kenya, and Nigeria to deliver affordable green housing .
The SHF Community of Practice will aim to:
- Broker new relationships between UK businesses and businesses in Asia and Africa (initially Pakistan, India, Nigeria and Kenya), and new investments into affordable housing .
- Explore, and ultimately reduce, existing barriers to growth for UK businesses into Pakistan, India, Kenya and Nigeria
- Identify UK capabilities that match in-country demand for skills – helping deliver the wider green infrastructure that addresses climate mitigation, adaptation & resilience at scale
- Build and showcase best practice from across the international SHF network.
Our initial activities will include hosting our first Sustainable Housing Futures Community of Practice webinars in early 2022.