Connected Places Catapult is excited to be delivering the Zero Emission Flight Infrastructure (ZEFI) programme in collaboration with the Department for Transport. We are bringing together government, industry, and academia to better understand the infrastructure changes required at airports and airfields to prepare for hydrogen-powered and battery electric aircraft. This work is part of the Government’s commitment in the Ten Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution to invest in R&D into the infrastructure upgrades required at UK airports to move to battery and hydrogen-powered aircraft.
The ZEFI programme incorporates three key streams:
- A detailed study which is investigating the requirements for introducing zero emission aircraft into airports. The study is taking input from a wide range of sources and stakeholders to develop use cases for different types of airfield and airports, an operational concept for the use of the new fuels and current aviation fuels alongside each other, plus the development of technology and standards roadmaps for hydrogen- and battery-related infrastructure. The detailed study is underway, and findings will be made available on our website at the end of the project.
- A Transport Research and Innovation Grant: Zero Emission Flight (TRIG:ZEF) competition, supporting UK research and development related to zero emission flight infrastructure. At least 12 projects will receive up to £50,000 of funding and will be supported by Connected Places Catapult throughout their duration. The TRIG:ZEF programme was launched in June 2021 and winners will be announced shortly.
- Demonstrations to showcase UK technology and innovation, and to build our understanding of the use of hydrogen and batteries in airside environments.
We are in the process of developing our zero emission flight infrastructure demonstration plans, and are keen to hear from organisations with technologies or innovations related to:
- Hydrogen storage, handling, aircraft refuelling/defueling, and on-site distribution
- Electric charging, storage, handling, battery swapping, and on-site electricity distribution
If you have technologies or innovations which could be part of a demonstration, please email a demonstration interest form to email@example.com and put ‘Demonstration’ in the subject line.
We are always happy to hear from interested parties, so if you have questions or ideas related to the ZEFI programme or how you can help us, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org