Transport Technology Research and Innovation Grants – CLOSED
The Connected Places Catapult is proud to be delivering the Department for Transport’s (DfT) Transport-Technology Research and Innovation Grants (T-TRIG) Programme.
T-TRIG bridges the early stage, proof-of-concept funding gap in transport innovation, where small investments can de-risk emerging solutions.
You can view past winners of the T-TRIG programme here.
We are witnessing unprecedented advancements in science and technology, and the business models that will underpin resultant transport services, both of which will profoundly change our transport systems. The Industrial Strategy aims to make the UK a world leader in the way people, goods and services move now and in the future, with the potential to achieve a safer, cleaner and more user-centred transport system. T-TRIG enables government and industry innovators to learn together, making future investments in transport technology more cost effective.
In the last six years, the Department for Transport has provided £5.4m of grants to support over 170 projects, from across the breadth of the transport technology spectrum. The programme has delivered great successes, including using advanced carbon capture technology to decarbonise marine shipping, allowing electric vehicles with surplus energy to share and trade with others in the vicinity and the development of a machine learning model to detect potholes. To date, more than £25m of follow-on investment has been secured by organisations after delivering successful T-TRIG projects – a return of £5 for every £1 invested by government.
T-TRIG is open to all businesses and academic institutions who are seeking funding to undertake early stage feasibility studies.
There are three challenges within the T-TRIG 2020 programme:
1) Open call – The purpose of the open funding call is to seek innovative ideas that have the potential to address a UK transport challenge, across all modes and technology areas.
2) Decarbonising the Transport System – We are seeking projects that demonstrate innovative technological solutions to deliver decarbonisation from well to wheel, including the infrastructure, vehicles, and systems, both in the UK and overseas.
3) COVID-19 Recovery – The department is seeking innovations that seek to aid in the COVID-19 Recovery within the transport sector, looking at transport modes, passengers and staff.
Why Apply for T-TRIG?
T-TRIG is designed to help innovators try out new transport technology ideas and support the best ones to reach the market.
Key features of T-TRIG:
- 100% grants for SMEs
- Oversight from the DfT Office for Science and Chief Scientific Adviser
- Links to policy contacts within the Department to help you understand how your ideas fit into Government’s priorities
- Follow on support from the Connected Places Catapult including the chance to enter their SME development programme
- The opportunity to take part in DfT Transport-Technology Innovation Showcase events.
Applying for T-TRIG
Applications are now closed!
You can find all the relevant information in the following documents:
The below documents are to help with your F6S application:
Applications are now closed for the T-TRIG programme.
On the 30th September we hosted the T-TRIG – Application Support & Information webinar.
You can watch the webinar by clicking the button below:
If you are interested in finding out more information about the grants or have any queries, please contact us by emailing T-TRIG@dft.gov.uk.
Accessibility-Technology Research and Innovation Grants (A-TRIG) – The department is launching a new sister scheme to T-TRIG, focused on demonstrating innovations which can improve the accessibility of transport systems. A-TRIG opened on the 3rd November. You can find more details here