Purpose of the role
The Connected Places Catapult (CPC) has an ambitious and extensive Future Air Mobility delivery programme planned over the next 3 years. Plans to deploy UAS, eVTOL and intra-regional electric aircraft are rapidly emerging and there is significant opportunity for innovation and for the UK to develop leading capabilities. The CPC has an increasing portfolio of projects supporting growth in this sector, covering the technical challenges associated with the deployment of UAS, UTM, and sustainable aviation.
To deliver this significant investment the CPC are expanding our team to support this growth area and provide long term strategic thinking, working with industry, regulators, academia and government to identify the roadmap and activities required to realise the exploitation opportunities this new paradigm enables.
We are looking for creative and energetic individuals, with a passion for making a difference and with the ability to contribute and accelerate the development of new mobility technologies. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of systems engineers, technologists, human factors specialists and economists helping to shape Catapult wide and collaborative R&D projects. You will play a key role in delivering work packages or entire projects, working with colleagues and stakeholders as appropriate. Depending on project demands, you may also be required to organize and run workshops to explore the challenges and gather requirements to overcome them. Where relevant to your project work, you may also be required to represent the Catapult at external meetings and events to communicate project findings to both specialists and wider stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities within this role are expected to be:
- Provide technical leadership for projects relating primarily to new applications of unmanned air vehicles
- Enabling industry to build the required capabilities for growth and innovation in order to address market barriers and create opportunity.
- Work closely with customers, project partners and other industry/government/academic stakeholders
- Deliver impactful analysis and reports to customers in a range of new mobility areas
- Provide technical support/coaching where possible to more junior technical staff
- Support, where possible, in business development by identifying opportunities, and assisting in bidding activity and writing proposals if appropriate
- Represent the CPC at relevant industry events, conferences and meetings where and when appropriate
Required skills and experience
- A degree at 2:1 or above in a relevant engineering or technical subject
- At least 3 years’ experience in either an industry or regulatory role relevant to the technical areas of flight or unmanned systems
- Experience of working in a flexible, project-focused environment
- Able to solve complex problems or problems where a precedent may not exist.
- Proven ability to establish relationships and work with a wide range of external stakeholders (e.g. industrial, government, academic)
- Able to teach, guide and coach others in technical tasks on a range of projects and delegate appropriately
- Further, relevant postgraduate (MSc/PhD) qualification.
- Chartered in a relevant institution, or working towards chartership
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: email@example.com