Purpose of the role
The Solution Architect plays an important role in enabling Connected Places Catapult to successfully meet its strategic objectives to build the economy and develop businesses to service the advanced urban services and intelligent mobility sectors. Responsible for the delivery of revenue in line with directorate targets, you will convene the skills and expertise from across the organisation to create large scale ‘showcase’ projects with national and international impact.
We would like to hear from candidates with a Built Environment background with particular experience in one or more of the following: Sustainability, Net Zero Carbon, Near Zero Energy Buildings, Climatic Resilience and Modern Methods of Construction (MMC). You will be passionate about the built environment and have first-hand experience of working within it to drive the uptake of innovation. It is anticipated that at least 50% of your time will be allocated to the delivery of CPC projects.
- To work with the Director to create strategies which develop short and long-term revenue streams & collaborative research
- Drive revenue into the CPC in line with the strategy and operational plan, including the technical support of high-quality bids for work, and an acceptable win ratio
- To lead the technical development and delivery of collaborative, innovative projects aligned to the strategy of the Connected Places Catapult for economic growth in the UK
- Working across the Built Environment Directorate to develop a thought leadership campaign in partnership with colleagues across the organisation.
- Direct and oversee the technical aspects of delivery for a portfolio of projects, ensuring the successful transition from project award into delivery; ensuring the overall objectives and approach of the projects are maintained; providing technical direction and support to the project team as required. Activities are likely to include:
- Supporting the Director of Built Environment with review of overall project technical objectives/requirements against progress
- Setting high standards for the Catapult’s outputs, ensuring overall technical quality through providing quality assurance of deliverables and stage gate activities
- Relationship management with technical project partners, stakeholders and customers to ensure delivery of collaborative projects and any re-planning/re-scoping to meet overall expectations
- Be an integral part of the CPC Horizon scanning activities
- Ideation aligned to relevant technical discipline identified in horizon scanning
- Creation and review of core funding proposals in support of strategic themes and initiatives
- Developing projects and other relevant activities that enable the CPC to demonstrate impact in economic and business growth.
- External facing activities including presentation at conferences, seminars and workshops and representation on steering groups / external bodies as appropriate
- Work with PMO to ensure there’s a full understanding of project scope and specifications, as well as resource requirements
- Work alongside project teams, acting as the ‘voice of the customer’ and ensuring outputs are delivered with exceptional quality, while achieving the strategic objectives that contribute to our KPIs
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- A relevant Masters-level qualification or equivalent demonstrable experience
- Significant prior experience in exceeding target revenue generation
- Demonstrable prior experience in technical research and development, advancing technology through readiness levels.
- A clear understanding of the needs of the built environment in the use of data, innovation, digital technology and/or challenges for projects, and the credibility to build networks across these groups
- Strong track record of successful stakeholder engagement. Enjoy forming relationships, creating consortia around a common purpose, defining programmes and creating winning bids and proposals
- Previous experience in operationalising strategic organisational objectives
- A confident influencer and communicator with the ability to adapt style and message for a variety of different audiences.
- Ability to identify market failures, barriers to innovation and to create imaginative solutions which address these
- An ability to design and/or analyse interventions or projects which match the Catapult’s role within the innovation landscape, and to similarly to identify areas where the Catapult is not required