Purpose of the role
We’re looking for a brilliant Senior Technologist that can help conceptualise, develop and deliver transformative urban technology projects as part of our Applied Data and Technology Programme of work at the Catapult.
The Urban Technology team is a multidisciplinary team of technologists, service designers and researchers. The team plays an important role in enabling the Connected Places Catapult (CPC) to successfully meet its strategic objectives to build the economy and develop businesses to service the advanced urban services and intelligent mobility sectors. The Urban Technology Team works across a diverse project portfolio and technology areas in support of domains like the built environment, wellbeing, public space, critical infrastructure, mobility and decision-making institutions.
Ideas need to be tested and proved to ensure they become a reality – this role helps makes this happen: prototyping, testing, creating and running pilot projects, demonstration at various scales and supporting organisations and companies understand their ideas in a real-world context is the core of the role and the function of the Urban Technology team. The Senior Technologist role combines development and delivery. We expect you to lead our expertise in technology, piloting and demonstration programmes.
You will be passionate about technology and it’s potential to transform the urban landscape when applied correctly.
You will ensure content support for our Project Management and Business Development functions when we scope our bids and projects.
We also expect you to have knowledge of different innovation processes, tools, methods and approaches. In order to succeed you need to be able to collaborate with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders from civil servants to software engineers and business developers.
- Establish working relationships with city authorities, urban developers, strategic finding bodies to facilitate urban innovation across varying levels of complexity
- Liaise with technology providers and academics to understand state of the art in emerging technologies that can be applied in to place based challenges
- Plan urban technology demonstrator pilots – define the scope, resources needed, obtain permission, develop a plan and determine objectives and measures
- Act as content lead across multiple projects
- Deliver projects, testbeds, monitor the progress of the pilots and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the projects
- Manage projects keeping stakeholders informed, monitoring budgets
- Evaluate pilots ensuring they were on time, within budget and at the required level of quality and with the desired outcomes
- Document project activities and disseminate the findings to a broad audience of government, commercial and academic organisations
- Utilise existing networks and entrepreneurial skills to develop opportunities for collaborative, innovative projects aligned to the CPC’s strategy for economic growth in the UK
- Liaise with collaborators internally and externally to create buy-in and opportunities for UK innovators including SMEs and academic groups
- Collaborate on ideation aligned to relevant technical disciplines identified in horizon scanning
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- You are proficient at managing technical projects, ideally with experience with Internet of Things and other emerging technologies such as 5G, AI, Cyber Security etc.
- You have experience of building relationships and working with city authorities and providers of key infrastructure
- You have experience of running many projects within a larger project since implementing pilots involves integrating many work streams from liaising with city partners to managing technology deployment
- You should be familiar with many types of emerging technologies and have experience of managing both digital hardware and digital software projects
- You are excited by the possibility of working in one of the world’s leading urban innovation centres, a place full of a diverse group of talents and perspectives. You have a strong desire to thrive in an environment that sits between public and private, between cities and tech, between art and science, between research and practice.
- A clear understanding of the complex needs of mobility systems and/or the built
- Experience or familiarity with some of our core technology areas: IoT +
- connected devices, 5G + communication tech, data infrastructure + connectivity,
- augmented + virtual reality, predictive + diagnostic analytics, artificial intelligence
- Open innovator: Creatively seek and develop ideas and handle innovation projects.
- Enabler: create structures and processes so that innovation can happen in organisations and places.
- Promoter: work to persuade and disseminate the knowledge of innovation
- Entrepreneurial: proactively identify and develop opportunities
You are excited by the possibility of working in one of the world’s leading place based innovation centres, a place full of a diverse group of talents and perspectives. You have a strong desire to thrive in an environment that sits between public and private, between cities and tech, between art and science, between research and practice.