Purpose of the role
Senior Project Managers will manage a range of high profile projects related to research and development in the Connected Places sectors. You will manage multiple projects at any given time, ensuring delivery of high-quality products in a variety of innovative areas.
In a typical week, you will be expected to manage competing priorities between yours and others’ projects as timescales inevitably shift and resources are required to be moved between projects within the business. You will need to report on project progress, including financial tracking of projects, and communicate with both clients and your project teams to ensure that the project stays on track.
You will need to ensure project documentation is completed to the highest standard and shared with project teams and other stakeholders. You will work closely with clients and partners and take a long view of your projects, highlighting risks, changes and opportunities on the horizon.
Significant experience in the key elements of Project Management is expected and should include, project planning, financial control, risk management, resource management and project reporting. Some form of professional accreditation is also expected such as PRINCE2, APM or PMI.
- Planning and designing the Project and proactively monitoring its progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action.
- Managing the project’s budget in liaison with the Finance team, reforecasting and monitoring expenditure and costs against delivered and realised benefits as the project progresses.
- Facilitating the appointment of individuals to project teams. Working with the PMo to ensure there is allocation of common resources and skills within the project’s individual projects whilst balancing the need across the organizational live portfolio.
- Ensuring effective quality assurance and the overall integrity of the project – focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the project, and outwardly on dependencies and the interfaces between projects.
- Ensuring the delivery of new products or services from projects is to the appropriate level of quality, on time and within budget, in accordance with the project plan and project governance arrangements.
- Managing third party contributions to the project.
- Managing communications with all stakeholders.
- Managing risks to the project’s successful outcome.
- Working with Delivery Directors on the transition to the business as usual position.
- Initiating extra activities and other management interventions wherever gaps in the project are identified or issues arise.
- Reporting the progress of the project as required.
- Manage the day to day complex technical projects of work.
- Build and maintain a high level of motivation and trust across the various teams.
- Be creative and dynamic in the ways in which the team are lead and managed.
- Be able to balance dynamic workload effectively.
- Inspire and motivate team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent at handling conflicts.
Required skills and experience
- Minimum of seven years leading and managing multiple complex projects, plus additional experience in project teams and/or PMO
- Experience of working in both the public and private sector
- Highly developed stakeholder, client and consortia communication skills
- Experience of leading complex R&D projects with funders such as IUK/H2020/EU
- Experience in procurement activities and the development and management of contracts.
- Client perspective of working with an SME.
- Planning project requirements in business development and bidding activities.
- Have achieved APMP and / or MSP level Project Management Accreditation
- Ability to proactively manage uncertainty and change
- Demonstrable experience of both Agile and Waterfall approaches. Familiarity with standard project management methodologies and experience of their application
- Experience of supporting or managing Collaborative R&D projects in a consortium.
- Experience of managing a range of high profile stakeholders as all levels.
- Great team and interpersonal skills
- Experience of the transport and/or city sectors and of managing project activity in this sector
- The development of new processes to deliver projects management outputs
- Experience in bidding for funded activities and in particular public funding bodies such as DfT and Innovate UK
- Experience in the use of ERP systems such as SAP particularly for the reporting of project financial performance
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 6th November 2020.