Purpose of the role
We’re looking for a Project Manager to join our cross-organisational delivery team. This is a hands-on project management role working in a fast-changing, widely multi-disciplinary environment.
In this role, you will have direct ownership and responsibility for managing one or two large, complex projects or a series of smaller projects, working with a range of stakeholders, from small and large businesses to local authorities and academia, across the UK or abroad.
The role requires projects are completed to a consistently high standard, within budget and time constraints and ensuring they meet professional standards and industry regulations. You will ensure that information such as forecasts, budgets and reports are up-to-date and accurate and that processes such as finance, invoice payments, reporting and resourcing requirements are completed to deadlines.
In a typical week, you will be expected to manage competing priorities within the business, as resources are required to be moved across a variety of projects. You will need to report on project progress regularly and communicate with both clients and your project teams to ensure that the project stays on track. A key responsibility of the role will be to lead project teams and collaborate/influence high profile stakeholders and clients.
Significant experience in all elements of Project Management is expected and should include; project planning, financial control, risk management, resource management and project governance. Some form of professional accreditation is also expected such as PRINCE2, APM and/or AgilePM.
- Successfully lead and manage projects from initiation to completion to the level of quality required, delivering on time and to budget.
- Overall responsibility for your projects delivering their agreed requirements, realising their stated benefits and managing the expectations of your identified stakeholders
- Scoping and planning your projects based on broad requirements, defining and effectively communicating the goals of the project, and resolving any technical and strategic issues as they occur.
- Prepare and maintain project documentation, including project initiation documentation, risk control documents, progress reports, project plans, change control, monthly reports, quality assurance and other documentation as required by individual projects.
- Effectively manage and mitigate risks reporting accurately and ensuring stakeholder awareness.
- Quickly become an integral part of the Project Management team, sharing knowledge and expertise and supporting and enabling delivery of the whole project portfolio for CPC.
- Develop good relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in a fast-changing, dynamic and multi-disciplinary environment across CPC offices in both London and Milton Keynes.
- Work closely with the PM team, organisational team leads and with the rest of the business to ensure appropriate resources are available and allocated.
- Work closely with the PMO Team Lead to embed the project framework, processes and governance across the organisation.
- Ensure project outputs or artefacts are collected and are accessible for review and reuse in line with the Catapult’s Knowledge Management approach.
- Help build exploitation plans for outputs and provide data for case studies of your projects.
- Work with business development to help scope and cost bids, bring your experience of similar projects to bear.
- Continuously improve your skills and capabilities to allow you to deliver your projects more effectively.
- May be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- A minimum of 2-4 years of successfully managing projects to their agreed objectives with strong professional standards
- Experience of managing projects within both the public and private sector
- Outcome and output focused
- Ability to produce and maintain project documentation from inception to closedown, reporting accurately and on time as required
- Flexible and able to replan and prioritise as required
- A genuine team player with excellent relationship development and communications skills, along with the ability to quickly understand, interpret and integrate business requirements from a broad range of stakeholder perspectives.
- Strong attention to detail whilst retaining the ability to see the bigger picture.
- Professionalism, resilience and self-awareness. The ability to act in a professional manner showing determination, drive and commitment at all times and particularly when faced with challenges and setbacks.
- Great conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Be comfortable in an uncertain and changing environment
- Able to articulate the expected impact of a project and understand how outputs can be exploited
- Project management capabilities and competencies align with those of the APM Body of Knowledge and competency framework
- Ability to demonstrate familiarity with Waterfall, Agile and other project methods
- Able to ensure that project outputs are retained and reused where possible
- Excellent attention to detail whilst retaining the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse technologies and techniques quickly
- A Project Management Professional qualification; APM, Prince 2, MSP, ISEB etc.
- An excellent working knowledge of the MS Office suite.
- Experience of working in or delivering innovation projects
- Experience of enabling a team to deliver a portfolio of projects by leveraging skills and experience
- Experience of procuring third party services, including contributing to contract reviews and negotiations
- Experience of managing technical scope and quality assurance.
- Awareness of delivering impact and in realising benefits
- Experience of EU and/or Innovate UK funded projects and an understanding of EU funding frameworks such as; Horizon H2020
- Experience in business/opportunity development.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 11th October 2020.