Purpose of the role
In this role, you will have direct ownership and responsibility for managing projects or programmes that encompass our strategic direction and that themselves may have been declared as being important to the ongoing and future success of the Catapult. As a line manager you will also have overview of all projects being run by your team. You will be ensuring that project information such as forecasts, budgets and reports are up-to-date and accurate and that processes such as finance, invoice payments and resourcing requirements are completed to deadlines.
- You will establish clear objectives with all your team members ensuring that their personal and professional development needs are considered.
- You will be continuously improving skills and capabilities to allow you and your team to deliver your projects more effectively.
- You will successfully manage your own projects or programmes, delivering their agreed requirements, realising their stated benefits and managing the expectations of your identified stakeholders
- Your team’s projects will be clearly planned, scheduled and resourced appropriately and be compliant with The Catapult’s financial and other business processes and policies
- You will ensure the portfolio of projects have all appropriate and relevant documentation completed and that you have a consolidated project plan to include, amongst other components, for; stakeholder management plans, communications plans, quality plans, project risk registers, issues and change logs and that their upkeep is continually maintained
- You and your team will develop good relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in a fast-changing, dynamic and multi-disciplinary environment across CPC offices in both London and Milton Keynes.
- You will work with other team leads to allocate projects to the Project Management team and with the rest of the business to ensure appropriate resources are available and allocated.
- You will work closely with the PMO lead to embed the project framework, processes and governance across the organisation.
- You will work closely with the Director of Project Management to ensure successful transformation of the organisation by delivering transformation activities, align processes and being a role model through change.
- You will ensure project outputs or artefacts are collected and are accessible for review and reuse in line with the Catapult’s Knowledge Management approach.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience or Person Specification
- Strong professional standards, who has a track record of success in delivering projects and programmes to their agreed objectives and who has experience of managing projects within both the public and private sector
- Highly developed people skills, who has successfully managed diverse teams and can demonstrate their ability to support and develop team members.
- Authenticity and credibility to be recognised as a project management role model at The Catapult
- Significant experience of successful project management in a fast-paced, dynamic and innovative environment
- Significant experience of project team and/or matrix management including for external suppliers and third parties
- Able to actively performance manage their team, developing all members and building a highly skilled cadre of project managers who can manage all sizes and complexities of projects.
- Project management capabilities and competencies align with those of the APM Body of Knowledge and competency framework
- Ability to demonstrate familiarity with Waterfall, Agile and other project methods
- Able to ensure that project outputs are retained and reused where possible
- Good networking, relationship building and communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail whilst retaining the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse technologies and techniques quickly
- Experience of EU and/or Innovate UK funded projects
- An understanding of EU funding frameworks such as; Horizon H2020
- Experience of working in or delivering innovations projects
- Experience of enabling a team to deliver a portfolio of projects by leveraging skills and experience
- Experience of procuring third party services, including contributing to contract reviews and negotiations
- Experience of planning and delivering projects intended for a city environment
- A Project Management Professional qualification; APM, Prince 2, MSP, ISEB etc
- Awareness of programme management and in realising benefits