Purpose of the role
In this role, you will have direct ownership and responsibility for managing projects or programmes that encompass our strategic direction and that themselves may have been declared as being important to the ongoing and future success of the Catapult.
The role requires that programmes and projects are completed to a consistently high standard, within budget and time constraints and ensuring they meet professional standards and industry regulations. You will ensure that information such as forecasts, budgets and reports are up-to-date and accurate and that processes such as finance, invoice payments, reporting and resourcing requirements are completed to deadlines.
As a Programme Manager you will be expected to lead consortia for large, complex projects. A typical consortium will be made up of a variety of bodies, from academia through large business to SMEs and are often multi-national.
In a typical week, you will be expected to manage competing priorities within the business, as resources are required to be moved across a variety of projects. You will need to report on project progress regularly and communicate with both clients and your project teams to ensure that the project stays on track. A key responsibility of the role will be to lead project teams and collaborate/influence high profile stakeholders and clients.
Significant experience in the key elements of Project and Programme Management is expected and should include; project planning, financial control, risk management, resource management and project governance. Some form of professional accreditation is also expected such as PRINCE2, APM and/or AgilePM.
- You will successfully manage your own projects or programmes, delivering their agreed requirements, realising their stated benefits and managing the expectations of your identified stakeholders
- You will ensure your portfolio of projects have all appropriate and relevant documentation completed and that you have a consolidated project plan to include, amongst other components, for; stakeholder management plans, communications plans, quality plans, project risk registers, issues and change logs and that their upkeep is continually maintained
- You will lead consortia, having overall responsibility for ensuring each party delivers their outputs to time, cost and quality, bring them all together for successful project delivery.
- You will prepare project documentation, including project initiation documentation, risk control documents, progress reports, project plans, change control, monthly report, quality assurance and other documentation as required by individual projects.
- You will quickly become an integral part of the Project Management team, sharing knowledge and expertise and supporting and enabling delivery of the whole project portfolio for CPC.
- You will develop good relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in a fast-changing, dynamic and multi-disciplinary environment across CPC offices in both London and Milton Keynes.
- You will work with team leads and with the rest of the business to ensure appropriate resources are available and allocated.
- You will work closely with the PMO Team Lead to embed the project framework, processes and governance across the organisation.
- You will work closely with the Director of Project Management to ensure successful transformation of the organisation by delivering transformation activities, align processes and being a role model through change.
- You will ensure project outputs or artefacts are collected and are accessible for review and reuse in line with the Catapult’s Knowledge Management approach.
- You will help build exploitation plans for outputs and provide data for case studies of your projects.
- You will work with business development to help scope and cost bids, bringing your experience of similar projects to bear.
- You will be continuously improving skills and capabilities to allow you to deliver your projects more effectively.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- Strong professional standards, who has a track record of success in delivering projects and programmes to their agreed objectives and who has experience of managing projects within both the public and private sector
- Experience of EU and/or Innovate UK funded projects and an understanding of EU funding frameworks such as; Horizon H2020
- A genuine team player with the authenticity and credibility to be recognised as a project management role model at the Catapult
- Able to articulate the expected impact of a project and understand how outputs can be exploited
- Experience of leading multi-national and complex consortia.
- Significant experience of successful programme and project management in a fast-paced, dynamic and innovative environment
- Significant experience of project team and/or matrix management including for external suppliers and third parties
- Project management capabilities and competencies align with those of the APM Body of Knowledge and competency framework
- Ability to demonstrate familiarity with Waterfall, Agile and other project methods
- Able to ensure that project outputs are retained and reused where possible
- Good networking, relationship building and communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail whilst retaining the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse technologies and techniques quickly
- Experience of working in or delivering innovation projects
- Experience of enabling a team to deliver a portfolio of projects by leveraging skills and experience
- Experience of procuring third party services, including contributing to contract reviews and negotiations
- Experience of managing technical scope and quality assurance.
- Experience in bidding for funded activities and, in particular, public funding bodies such as DfT and Innovate UK would be an advantage.
- Experience in the use of ERP systems such as SAP particularly for the reporting of project financial performance
- A Project Management Professional qualification; APM, Prince 2, MSP, ISEB etc.
- Awareness of programme management and in realising benefits
Personal Skills and Competences:
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Great team player
- Ability to work with a variety of experts, respecting, valuing and utilising their skills and knowledge to ensure successful deliver
- Great Conflict Resolution and negotiation skills
- Be comfortable in an uncertain and changing environment
- Outcome and output focused
- Flexible and able to replan and prioritise as required
- Strong leadership and people management skills