Purpose of the role
This role will be within Connected Places Catapult’s Mobility Integration team, a part of the New Mobility Technologies directorate. It is a primarily technical role, using systems engineering principles and systems thinking to leading or contributing to a wide range of projects, working with project teams mixing internal staff, partners, and clients.
The New Mobilities Team covers all aspects of automation and connectivity for the movement of people and goods across a range of transport modes, encompassing Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), autonomous pods, self-driving cars and trucks together with rail. Our work is not just focused on the means of transport itself, but also takes in the enabling infrastructure and policy framework required to establish the UK in the global vanguard of Intelligent Mobility. We work with the whole range of stakeholders in this area including regulators and policy makers, insurance companies, established technology companies, start-ups, and universities.
We are involved in a wide range of projects focused on connected and automated transport. We collaborate to bring academia, Government and industry together to enhance the operation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles via a range of projects. Our projects focused on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs) see us working with a range of organisations from SME to OEM and will develop systems that exploit connectivity to improve the safety of our roads and the air quality in our cities. In the area of rail travel, we collaborate with major industry stakeholders to improve the efficiency of our rail network. The team also provides technical planning support to partner organisations for a variety of connected and automated transport projects. We provide systems engineering, programme management, consult and technical support to increase the UK’s global share of the connected and automated transport market.
- Lead the development and implementation of the Transport Systems Catapult’s strategy in the area of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Define, develop and deliver UAV projects / programmes to quality, cost and time, potentially including technical implementation, systems integration and high-level studies
- Identify opportunities to help contribute to the aims of the Transport Systems Catapult.
- Lead and participate in business development by identifying opportunities, leading and contributing to proposals and bidding activity as required
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all functions within Transport Systems Catapult and external delivery partners to optimize beneficial working relationships
- Represent the TSC at relevant industry events, conferences and meetings where and when appropriate.
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrable, relevant expertise in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, connected and automated systems, mobile robotics, and transport systems
- Understanding of relevant standards and regulations in the domain of UAVs
- Systems engineering experience in commercial applications
- Strong technical project leadership and organisational skills with close attention to detail
- Experience of leading research and development projects, within a commercial and / or grant funded, collaborative research and development environment where significant partner/funder/stakeholder interactions are required
- Experience of leading transport related projects/programmes
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate clearly across diverse levels of understanding
- Ability to produce high quality, impactful written reports and presentations
- Educated to a degree level in a Technical discipline
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 21st October 2020.