Purpose of the role
- To own the portfolio of collaborative research and innovation projects, between Connected Places Catapult (CPC) and our clients within the Rail industry (mostly, but not limited to, Network Rail and HS2), making sure it runs smoothly and effectively.
- To act as conduit between CPC and rail portfolio clients in order to resolve and manage any project issues proactively.
- To ensure CPC governance processes are followed, including completion of quarterly reports, and attending Stage Gate and Quarterly Review Meetings
- Working with individual Project Managers ensure all projects meet the requirements of the Framework Agreements.
- To maintain a detailed view of the overall programme budget, monitor risk status and delivery plans and ensure new projects meet all requirements whilst all projects are closed and disseminated appropriately
- To communicate with the Director of Project Management and CPC project sponsors to make aware of risks, issues, future opportunities and trends to enable CPC to maintain its reputation and enable CPC to lever future funding opportunities appropriately
- Maintain and develop CPC’s established governance approach around our collaborative programmes of research and innovation activities with clients, acting as conduit between them and CPC working collaboratively to resolve and manage complex or unique project issues proactively.
- Manage project(s) within the portfolio, to time, cost and quality, delivering on agreed requirements, realising the stated benefits and managing the expectations of key and strategic stakeholders and any commercial scope changes.
- Ensure Project/s within the portfolio are being managed to time, cost and quality, delivering the agreed requirements, realising the stated benefits and managing the expectations of stakeholders and any commercial scope change.
- Delivering and facilitating regular project update meetings and Quarterly Business Reviews between portfolio clients and CPC.
- Provide general advice on the Framework Agreements to maintain compliance to contractual terms during the delivery of projects.
- Identify strategic emerging opportunities for collaboration and ensure that CPC respond in a timely and professional manner.
- Work with Rail Engagement Manager, and client managers, to maintain and develop a rolling pipeline of potential activities and interface to the CPC Delivery Directors to ensure effective resource planning.
- Maintain an in-depth working knowledge of the skills and capabilities within the Catapult so that new opportunities can be qualified.
- Proactively disseminate the outputs of the work programme to create awareness of and opportunities to participate.
- Be the conduit between rail clients and CPC Finance to ensure the PO to Invoice to Payment process is being followed for the portfolio.
- Monitoring Outputs and Outcomes expected at a portfolio level and assisting with data collection as appropriate to assess the impact of projects run by CPC.
- Acting as lead point of contact for the Business Performance team in relation to external evaluation and facilitating inputs from the Project Managers and rail clients as required
- Report to, and provide regular updates to, the Director of Project Management as part of the wider PM/PMO team.
- Work closely with PMO and PMO lead to ensure that CPC PM processes are adhered to across the portfolio, in particular that monthly governance reporting is accurate, QA procedures followed, and project closure reports and case studies are produced.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- Strong professional standards, with a track record of success in delivering projects and programmes to agreed objectives.
- Excellent Project Management skills with demonstrable experience of a wide selection of approaches
- Significant complex programme management experience
- Experience of managing projects within both the public and private sector
- Proven communication and strategic stakeholder engagement
- Ability to develop new relationships and build rapport with a variety of stakeholders and clients
- Confidence to solve complex and unique challenges and manage conflict in a constructive manner
- Strong business acumen
- Work with people with a variety of approaches
- Excellent Team Player, able to engage and work constructively across the business
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse technologies and techniques quickly
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Whilst the role can be based in either of the CPC offices, it is expected that a significant amount of time will be spent in the Network Rail offices in Milton Keynes and travel may be required to London, Birmingham and other locations on a less frequent basis.