The project is led by Milton Keynes Council and will involve working alongside consortium partners from prominent technology companies including BT, Huawei, CityFibre, TechMahindra, the Open University, and the Satellite Applications Catapult. The Connected Places Catapult is acting as the business growth partner within the MK:5G consortium.
Purpose of the role
This is a dynamic role in setting up, recruiting for, and managing a 6 month accelerator programme for up to 10 SMEs. This role has the responsibility of coordinating SME activities, aligned with the wider programme of work at the MK:5G testbed. Alongside this, we will offer a programme of technology development and business support.
- Scouting for SMEs with an MVP at TRL 6 and above (or close to) that will benefit from a programme of support, from both our existing databases of startups and beyond.
- Managing a selection process, involving all programme partners in decision making activities
- Understand and map cohort needs to identify required support, in collaboration with the wider SME team and with the SME Development Managers
- Keeping the SME founders motivated and on-track to achieve their objectives throughout the programme
- Developing key relationships with other members of the eco-system, such as investors, corporates, mentors
- Helping to source and liaise with other external suppliers and contractors that will deliver key parts of the programme, such as IP, R&D tax credits, 5G technology support.
- Managing programme schedules, co-ordinating SMEs, mentors, and workshop hosts, scheduling relevant engagement activities (one to ones and workshops)
- Support the cohort to set and deliver relevant goals and milestones
- Support the Accelerator Programmes Lead to track budgets relating to programme delivery
- Effective monitoring and evaluation of programme activities, to lead on and deliver an impact report at the end of the programme to update stakeholders on progress
You may be required to undertake any other reasonable tasks commensurate with this role and/or within your capability to enable the Catapult to realise its strategic objectives.
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrable prior experience working in a business engagement role.
- Excellent person organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise your own work, and coordinate the work of other team members within the wider programmes.
- The capability to work autonomously and as part of a team. You should be a real self-starter who is able to make things happen.
- Excellent inter-personal relationship skills, and the ability to influence others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with fluency in English an essential requirement of this role.
- Familiar with MS Office and Excel
- Working with SMEs and stakeholders in an incubator/accelerator environment
- Experience working within the mobility, urban planning, architecture, built environment, cities/local authorities, digital technology or related domains would be highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of the financial and practical support available to SMEs.
- Passionate about SME development
- Experience of working in a startup