Purpose of the role
The Connected Places Catapult accelerates smarter living and travelling in and between the places of tomorrow. We focus on growing businesses with innovations in mobility services and the built environment that enable new levels of physical, digital and social connectedness. We operate at the intersection between public and private sectors and between local government and transport authorities. We convene the disparate parts of the market to help innovators navigate the complexity of doing business, creating new commercial opportunities and improving productivity, socio-economic and environmental benefits for places.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Market Economist to join our Business Modelling & Market Analysis Team. The role will provide high quality analysis to support the development and validation of financial and business models, for new, innovative products and services across a number of sectors in mobility and the built environment. It will also provide insight into economic trends and evaluate investment potential and examine and interpret a range of data to provide insight and enable decision-makers to make informed investment decisions.
The Business Modelling & Market Analysis Team supports project across the whole Connected Places Catapult and as such you will typically be working on multi-disciplinary projects with engineers, data scientists, planners, modellers, software developers, environmental specialists, social researchers, designers and a diverse range of external stakeholders.
- Building business models, including forecasts for new/innovative products and services.
- Building economic models and financial analysis of markets.
- Building financial models and projections, forecasting expected cost and revenue growth to support strategic decisions e.g. financial analysis such as ROI, IRR & CBA.
- Building pricing models to complement demand models and estimate revenue opportunities.
- Undertake analysis to show the impact of business and market dynamics on business models and revenue streams.
- Undertake analysis to shape and influence business propositions.
- Undertake due diligence on industries/sectors and establishing the scale of the market opportunity.
- Undertake analysis of the impact of economic factors, such as COVID-19, might affect the performance of industries and companies, making sure tolerances are accounted for in models.
- Undertake analysis to examine the strategic and financial benefits of innovative new products, services and solutions.
- Engage with SMEs on our accelerator programmes.
- Review and analyse SMEs business models and business plans in order to provide guidance and advise, on due diligence during competition / accelerator selection processes.
- Review and analyse and evolve business models for innovate products / services so that they can best meet the needs of the market.
- Analyse financial information related to companies to establish how the organisation is positioned to deliver a sustainable, scalable business and returns for entrepreneurs, investors and other stakeholders.
Required skills and experience
- You will possess a relevant degree in Economics, Business, Finance or closely related subject area.
- You will have strong numerical and financial skills.
- You will have experience of and be able to develop new financial & business models.
- You will have experience of and be able to conduct analysis such as Cost Benefit Analysis, Return on Investment, Internal Rate of Return, Net Present Value and Scenario Analysis
- You will understand how to identify and model key tolerances within financial models, understanding market dynamics that could break the financial model.
- You will understand profit and loss accounts and balance sheets.
- You will have the ability to explain and interpret complex financial models to non-financial people.
- You will have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You will be an effective communicator, adept at distilling more complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for internal and external stakeholders.
- You will be able to present the results of your analyses in high quality written reports, stakeholder meetings, and online presentations.
- You will have the capacity to manage ambiguity in projects and offer pragmatic solutions.
- Your background should enable you to have a thorough knowledge about, how different markets work, about economic growth, and international trade.
- You should have an interest in technology and innovation and how this could be used to improve the places where we live and work.
- Experience in facilitating workshops and undertaking stakeholder engagement activities.
- Data analysis and/or visualisation experience using python or other statistical and programming software.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: email@example.com