- Providing general commercial legal advice to the business across areas such as contract law, state aid, intellectual property ownership and licensing, commercial leases, employment law and procurement regulations.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising upon a wide range of commercial contracts, research agreements and strategic partnerships.
- Understanding the needs and constraints of SMEs and micro-entities and taking appropriate approaches to managing the legal relationships with such entities consistent with the Catapult’s objectives, whilst also mitigating legal and reputational risks to the Catapult.
- Take a leading role in establishing the legal and commercial function as a service across the business. This includes collaborating with business leaders within the company to build their understanding of the team’s function and value add.
- Raise the profile and awareness across the CPC Group of due diligence and assessing legal and commercial risk of projects and contracts, and implementing appropriate policies and procedures.
- Working with and supporting the development of the Commercial Manager to maximise efficiency in handling commercial and R&D contracts from initial instruction to completion, taking a risk-based approach.
- Ensuring the organisation’s compliance with its legal obligations in all of its commercial activities
- Training colleagues in areas such as intellectual property rights and state aid to equip the business when scoping projects and engaging with third parties.
- Actively sharing knowledge and serving as a best practice resource to the team by keeping abreast of market trends, opportunities and challenges.
- Developing and maintaining the team’s precedent database, ensuring its currency and fitness for purpose and enabling efficient use of templates for business-as-usual activity.
- Leading a review of the current contract management system with a view to identifying an appropriate product fit for increasing volumes, reporting requirements and greater process efficiency.
- Working with the Risk & Compliance Manager to instil a culture of risk awareness and risk management across the business.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations
Required skills and experience
- A qualified solicitor or barrister of at least 5+ PQE, experienced in providing general commercial legal advice, preferably within both a private practice and an in-house environment
- Extensive experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts and R&D agreements
- An experienced contracts negotiator capable of representing the Catapult’s legal and commercial interests with large private entities and government departments as well as SMEs
- Proven ability to analyse legal risk and identify and implement appropriate mitigation across a broad spectrum of commercial matters
- Experience in setting up and dealing with the company affairs of spin-outs desirable
- Takes a ‘business partner’ approach to positively facilitate commercial activity within the business whilst offering appropriate challenge to business areas to engage with legal requirements, undertake appropriate due diligence and manage legal and commercial risks
- A self-starter who can work efficiently and professionally under their own initiative
- Proven ability to build strong, positive relationships with external stakeholders as well as with colleagues at all levels of the business
- Flexible approach
- Positive ‘can-do’ attitude and a team player
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with a strong focus on attention to detail
- People management experience, including operational service focus and team coaching/development
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: email@example.com