Purpose of the role
Connected Places Catapult is entering a new chapter and is seeking a talented and proven Head of Content to help us tell our story better externally and internally, to drive greater visibility, credibility and market impact. As Head of Content you will manage a newly integrated content team, covering strategic communications (web, social media, PR), internal comms and project marketing. Leading these resources, you will oversee all the activities of the content department, including campaign scheduling, topic generation, working closely with the content team in creating, improving and maintaining content to achieve our business goals, as well as publishing and distributing content across optimal marketing channels. Working closely with the Director of Strategic Analysis, you will help the organisation adopt new ways of working in relation to content generation and dissemination, and you will demonstrate success by monitoring web traffic and metrics against ROI and business KPI’s to identify best practices.
Ultimately, you should showcase Connected Places Catapult as thought leaders and oversee all marketing content initiatives to ensure customer engagement, brand message consistency and a positive customer experience.
- Develop and oversee the content marketing strategy. This includes scheduling and managing content campaigns, channel selection and focus, editorial governance and defining the audience personas. You will be responsible for defining the content mission, setting clear marketing objectives for content and metrics to be applied and aligned with the business’s overall objectives. You must also understand how the organisation’s content integrates with the rest of its business objectives.
- Outline and manage the channel strategy. Oversee all the content published to the media through all marketing channels, including social media, email, press interviews, collateral, event speeches, recorded messages and podcasts, newsletters, PR and direct mail. Ensure all content is optimised for search and user experience across all appropriate channels.
- Establishing standards, systems, best practices, and workflow processes for managing the content marketing life cycle. This includes requesting, producing, publishing, distributing, promoting, measuring, and retiring content. You will be responsible for developing and communicating an editorial calendar to the business and ensure that all content across the business is integrated and aligned to support business objectives. You will also be responsible for overseeing the management of all content management platforms and distribution channels.
- Ensure consistency across the business. This includes setting the tone of voice and ensuring all content is on-brand and is consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone. Play a collaborative role across the business and ensure efficiency and consistency across channels, verticals, and functional departments.
- Work closely with the creative and events teams to draw on their capabilities and support delivery of effective content. This includes co-creating new processes that enable the organisation to maximise the alignment of these functions and thereby market impact.
- Collaborating with other departments and teams across the business. This includes the sales and sector engagement team and department heads to identify content needs and opportunities, and the and IT department to ensure digital channels are appropriately supported.
- Leadership of the content department. As well as strategic communications, the team includes Internal Comms and Project Content. You will lead and inspire the development of first-class content along with other production means inclusive of videos, infographics, blogs, and data visualisation. Mentor content department personnel, ensuring a steady improvement in their professional skills.
- Research and analyse the market for opportunities. Work alongside the market analysis team to conduct research on the competitive environment and gather market data for the business and use the results to devise well-informed topics and themes for content creation.
- Manage and oversee all the business’s social media channels in regard to content. Ensuring that promotion, management, and publishing of content is aligned to the content strategy and overall business objectives.
- Manage the marketing database for the purpose of email communications. Ensure subscriptions and all email communications are aligned to the editorial calendar and implement automated communications where possible to improve consumer engagement and efficiency.
- Ensure compliance. Including copyright and data protection regulations.
- Monitoring success. Design and implement a measurement strategy that actively measures, manages, optimises, and communicates the performance of the content published. Use content management systems and other analytics tools to analyse website traffic and user’s engagement metrics to evaluate content effectiveness against the business’s operational objectives and strategies.
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English, Public Relations, or any other related field. A working experience of the equivalent is also acceptable.
- Experience of over 5 years working in a senior position in the field of communications or marketing.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in managing a team and leading that team to successful accomplishment of its goals.
- Experience and success driving and managing social media strategies for a business in a highly competitive and fast-paced environment and highly knowledgeable on the latest social media practices.
- Ability to clearly present complex business strategies and metric results concisely and persuasively to executives and senior leaders.
- Strong analytical skills, showing deep interest in research and analysis of business-related content.
- Ability to calculate ROI and interpret website, blog, and social media data in gauging success of the business’s content and campaigns.
- Exceptional communication skills, both in written and verbal form.
- Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to engage easily with people and build strong and long-lasting relationships.
- Hands on experience with MS Office and WordPress.
- Basic technical knowledge of HTML and web publishing.
- Knowledge of Medium content platform preferable.
- Strong knowledge of SEO and web traffic metrics.
- Creative with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills with the ability to multitask and prioritise tasks effectively.