Purpose of the role
We are looking for a brilliant team lead to inspire and drive forward our Digital Planning Team. You will lead a team of urban professionals to support the mission of Connected Places Catapult to ‘Advance urban innovation, to grow UK companies and make cities better’.
You will provide content expertise and team leadership that results in high-quality outputs and effective project delivery, working with colleagues and our stakeholders, building our competencies, capacity and thought leadership. The role combines expert input into project development, scoping and delivery with senior leadership and team management responsibilities. Therefore, we are seeking a senior practitioner with industry experience of leading teams in the delivery of city planning and the built environment projects.
- Provide excellent frontline management to the members of the Digitising Planning Team; including setting objectives, providing performance feedback, resourcing to projects, communicating corporate messages, and daily management.
- Build, lead and manage the Digitising Planning Team in delivery of digital planning and built environment innovations, research, co-creation, prototyping and digital delivery for projects across the Catapult.
- Work in partnership with the Built Environment Director and Solution Architect to develop commercial and CR&D opportunities for the organisation; and develop opportunities to grow and scale UK plc.
- Support the Catapult’s strategy development, including identification of future priorities in the advanced urban services sector.
- Lead on deliverables for commercial and research projects that require significant city planning and urban futures work.
- Support and represent the Catapult’s thought leadership activities as one of the Catapult’s lead experts and proponents for the application of digital city planning within business and cities.
- Support business development, project planning and resource management for external opportunities related to the Digitising Planning directorate.
- Drive team productivity and quality of the team’s deliverables, including quality control.
- Nurture a supportive and productive culture that upholds the mission and values of the Catapult.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- BA/MA, in a digital planning related discipline, e.g. planning, architecture, urban design, engineering, or related digital discipline.
- Innovation capabilities and hands-on experience in multiple domains are required; these can include areas such as urban planning, urban regeneration, urban design, policy and plan making, master planning, public services, digital services and products.
- Proven leadership skills, running both teams and project delivery, including excellence in team building and person management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of city planning, city governance structures and development methods and experience in using them in real-world projects.
- Previous experience of working within a business development role or environment, working to start, build and convert leads into new clients and project partners.
- Good at managing relations with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels, being approachable while persuasive.
- Ability to guide the team through report writing, design, development, testing and deployment stages of innovations and to review completed work effectively.
- Ability to match project tasks with opportunities for development so that employee potential is utilised to the maximum.
- A confident and influencer communicator and presenter.