Purpose of the role
The Data Strategy Team Lead is an important role in our move to build on the success of recent data discovery and data strategy projects. The Lead will initially work with the Head of Data Science and Software Engineering to share and build momentum behind our data discovery and data strategy value propositions. We take a stakeholder focused, problem-first approach to data discovery and strategy, working closely with our domain teams in the built environment and mobility plus our Human-Centred Design, Impact and Strategy teams. The Lead will work to gain traction with new clients and partners, bringing new opportunities for data discovery and strategy work to the Catapult, ultimately opening up data use cases for innovators and enabling the value of data to be realised in places.
We are a diverse division working across many technology areas in support of domains like housing, planning, critical infrastructure, new mobility services and decision-making institutions. We have specific value propositions around multi-modal transport data sharing, data in local government, and data for the built environment. Our success on projects looking at unique property reference numbers (to enable accelerated delivery of new housing) and smart meter metadata (enabling better support of residents at risk of fuel poverty) has been due to our highly technical yet ecosystem-centred, problem-first approach. We are looking for a lead that is comfortable talking data engineering and science technology but is strategic and conceptual in outlook, with a focus on stakeholder management.
Having helped to shape these projects, it is expected that a significant proportion of time will be spent on leading delivery – drawing on our existing teams and working with the Applied Data and Technology leadership team to make sure we have the right team in place to deliver.
- Own the technical development and delivery of collaborative, innovative projects aligned to the strategy of the Connected Places Catapult for economic growth in the UK with a focus on projects that open up opportunities for use of data
- Craft concept notes and propositions, structuring and writing content, ensuring we communicate technical and complex concepts effectively and that we get buy in from key stakeholders, collaborators and clients
- Build a pipeline of opportunities and bring new project work to the Catapult, working with Solutions Architects and Bid Managers amongst others
- Advocate for the benefits of a problem-first ecosystem-centric approach to data discovery, use case generation and strategy. Create buy-in for this across the Catapult and externally
- Work closely with the data science, software engineering, human-centred design and impact assessment teams to understand capabilities and resource projects, leading them to successful delivery on time and to budget
- Maintain an awareness of CPC’s strategy and domain focuses, working to align project scope to this
- Ensure data strategy and discovery projects are delivered following our methodology and based on scope, and lead projects towards outcomes that enable opportunities for innovation making use of data
Required skills and experience
- Degree in scientific, engineering or other technical discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working with data scientists, analysts, data strategists, data engineers or data users and systems
- Experience with hands-on technical thinking – strong on the big picture but not afraid to dive into the technical detail with a team
- Experience with business development and relationship management in a technical domain
- Experience leading and managing teams
- Structured thinker, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts that may be unfamiliar
- Experience researching unfamiliar technologies and quickly understanding new concepts, drive to continuously expand horizons, learn and improve
- Experience working collaboratively on projects with diverse technical and domain contributors
- A confident influencer and communicator with the ability to adapt style and message for a variety of different audiences
- Ability to identify market failures, barriers to innovation and to create imaginative solutions
- A clear understanding of the needs of mobility systems or the built environment
- Experience or familiarity with our core technology areas: IoT + connected devices, 5G + communication tech, Data infrastructure + connectivity, Augmented + virtual reality, Predictive + diagnostic analytics, Artificial intelligence