Purpose of the role
The Applied Data & Technology team at CPC is a multidisciplinary team of technologists, data scientists and engineers, software engineers, service designers and researchers. The team plays an important role in enabling CPC to successfully meet its strategic objectives to build the economy and develop businesses to service the advanced urban services and intelligent mobility sectors. We work across a diverse project portfolio and technology areas in support of domains like the built environment, wellbeing, public space, critical infrastructure, mobility and decision-making institutions.
As places become more populated and connected, and respond to emergent agendas around net zero, regional economic growth, and post-pandemic recovery and resilience there is an ever increasing need to make use of data for better decision making and to underpin new technological innovations. From supporting local authorities and central government to make better use of data to deliver new homes against a backdrop housing crisis, to building digital twins that help rail stations support social distancing measures, our projects demonstrate the art of the possible and pull technical ideas through to an applied setting. We take an enabling role in the innovation ecosystem – often working with new businesses to support an emerging product or service or acting as thought leaders to explain where there is data science opportunity for better places.
We’re looking for a team lead for Data Science that has real interest in building team culture and best practice, plus wants to work collaboratively to develop transformative data-driven projects ranging from exploratory analysis to statistical machine learning or conceptual thought leadership.
- Line manage the Data Science Team by implementing and enabling organisational policies, caring for team culture, establishing best practise and supporting the team to develop individually and as a group stronger than the sum of its parts
- Use your expertise to provide hands-on insight, technical support and input into project work – taking a technical leadership role on projects and acting as decision making support for the team on projects they might lead technically
- Develop and grow the capacity, skills and service offering of the Data Science Team to match the needs of our project pipeline
- Develop, embed and promote the tools and processes the Data Science Team use to deliver their work effectively and sustainably; working closely with the Software Engineering team Lead for consistency
- Help scope new project opportunities to ensure quality, strategic fit and feasibility
- Have oversight across projects where the data science team has a role, and provide regular updates on these
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality work, understanding project requirements, coordinating to make sure the right data science expertise is identified, and where necessary, leading the project in the right direction. It is anticipated that at least 50% of the Team Leader’s time will be allocated to active projects
- Work to align the Data Science team’s work and strategy to that of the broader Catapult, spotting opportunities for adding new value across teams focused on housing, transport and our other “place” domains
- Be a thought leader in data science domain, playing a driving role in formulating our data vision on current place-based challenges and remain abreast of the place-based data science landscape. We are very keen on problem-first, collaborative approaches and putting ethics at the heart of our work in the team.
Required skills and experience
- Masters or PhD in a scientific, mathematical or engineering subject (or equivalent experience)
- Understanding of different methodologies/ approaches across data science including exploratory analysis, statistical testing, data visualisation, machine learning, modelling and simulation approaches as well as concepts such as open data, data models, ethics, standards, etc. and an openness to continued learning and exploration
- Background and/or exposure to software engineering principles and experience working with software engineering teams
- Significant work experience outside academia, applying data analytics and/or modelling to real-world projects
- Experience leading projects and guiding a technical team through the design, development, testing and deployment stages
- Experience managing teams, driving engagement, growing competencies and skills, as well as working with individuals on development plans and career paths
- Collaborative style and experience communicating across a diverse business at various levels, being persuasive and approachable
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: email@example.com