We are looking for Connected Design Team Lead (FTC – 12 months contract), a senior leader in the Human Connected Design (HCD) directorate will champion and enable the successful implementation of the new directorate strategy, focusing on the strategic role of design in creating an inclusive, circular economy.
Human Connected Design
The Human Connected Design (HCD) directorate at the Connected Places Catapult is responsible for the strategic use of design, supporting the Catapult in its mission to help grow businesses, to build the UK economy and to service the creation of truly connected places. The directorate puts human needs at the heart of new innovations and technologies in transportation and the build environment and is made up of three dynamic, creative teams namely; Connected Design, Human Insights, and Design Futures. These teams include experts in service design, psychology, ergonomics, and human factors. The Connected Design team is a dynamic group of user researchers and service designers that work across an exciting range of projects supporting the mission of Connected Places Catapult. As Connected Design Team Lead, a senior leader in the directorate this role will involve championing and enabling the successful implementation of the new directorate strategy, focusing on the strategic role of design in creating an inclusive, circular economy.
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a senior design practitioner with significant industry experience of leading teams in the delivery of strategic design projects.
The successful candidate will lead and inspire the Connected Design team reporting to the Director of Human Connected Design. You will work closely with other directorate team leaders as well as the newly appointed Solution Architect to grow the directorate’s influence and increase our impact and reach.
You will provide inspirational team leadership and have deep subject expertise. The role combines expert input into project development, scoping and delivery with senior leadership and team management responsibilities.
- Providing excellent front-line management to the members of the Connected Design team, including setting objectives, providing performance feedback, resourcing to projects, communicating corporate messages, and daily management.
- Leadership on deliverables for commercial and research projects that require significant user research and design work.
- Building, leading and managing the Connected Design team in the delivery of user research, co-creation, prototyping and service design for projects across the Catapult.
- Supporting business development, project planning and resource management for external opportunities related to design.
- Driving team productivity and quality of the team’s deliverables, including quality control.
- Nurturing a supportive and productive culture that upholds the mission and values of the Catapult.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- Innovation capabilities and hands-on experience in multiple domains are required; These can include areas such as commercial user research projects, public services, digital services and products.
- Experience of running both teams and project delivery, including excellence in team building and person management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of design and development methods and experience in using them in real-world projects.
- Previous experience of working within a business development role or environment, working to start, build and convert leads into new clients and project partners.
- Good at managing relations with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels, being approachable while persuasive.
- Ability to guide the team through the design, development, testing and deployment stages and review the completed work effectively.
- Ability to match project tasks with opportunities for development so that employee potential is utilised to the maximum.
- Understanding of the UK and European collaborative R&D ecosystem is desirable.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: email@example.com