Who Are We?
Connected Places Catapult (CPC) is the UK Centre of Excellence for urban innovation and mobility with a role to catalyse the innovation market in the UK and globally. From our centres across the UK and globally, we provide world-class facilities and expertise to support the development of new products and services, as well as opportunities to collaborate with others, test ideas and develop business models.
The National Asset Register is an ambitious project to develop a digital marketplace for access to space in the public realm in the UK. Initially focusing on streamlining site acquisition for 5G and mobile Telecommunications infrastructure but looking forward to upcoming IoT infrastructure in the future.
Purpose of the role
The Commercial Product Manager plays an important role in enabling Connected Places Catapult to successfully deliver its strategic investment project. The Commercial Product Manager will help establish the business case and financial model for the project, engaging with the market, local authorities and key mobile service providers to understand the opportunities available for the catapult.
You will lead industry, national and local government engagement to understand the needs of the market and asset owners, champion and build momentum for the National Asset Register. Then using this information help build and support the right business model for the project (including operational and functional cost planning). The role also plays a key part in establishing the right delivery and hosting models so knowledge of (but not limited to) self-owned, managed, partnerships, joint venture approaches etc… is key.
It will be essential that a business case/ business plan is developed that shows cashflow, and the return on investment opportunities for this project.
You will be joining a multidisciplinary team of IoT specialists, technologists, solution architects and product designers, user-experience designers, service designers, insight specialists, software engineers, data scientists and data engineers who will provide technical support to your commercial acumen.
- Develop a business case/ business plan for The Register product based on input from internal stakeholders, customers, and market research.
- Network externally and work with comms and other CPC teams to build momentum, opportunities and consensus in the market for The Register.
- Liaise internally (urban tech team, data science team, user insights team, software engineering team), and externally with clients and end users to define clear needs and objectives for the product in supporting the business case.
- Co-ordinate in-house teams and third-party consultants across multiple projects in understanding the business case and operating model.
- Refine user flows and work with the team to establish value, cost, and feasibility.
- Conduct competitor analysis and keep track of competitor movements to strategise accordingly.
- The Commercial Product Manager may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support CPC in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience
- A relevant masters-level qualification or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- Strong track record of working in innovative companies at the cutting edge of their fields.
- Ability to identify barriers to innovation and to champion imaginative solutions that address these.
- Previous experience in operationalising strategic business objectives.
- Strong track record of successful stakeholder engagement.
- Enjoy forming relationships, inspiring teams around a common purpose and significant prior experience in successfully leading teams.
- A confident influencer and communicator with the ability to adapt style and message for a variety of different audiences.
- Possess a strong combination of technology plus stakeholder engagement skills.
- Experienced in design and product leadership with a clear understanding of user needs.
- Provide support across the team and willing to take on whatever is required.
- Hands-on manager and willing to work in a fast paced, ever-moving environment.
- Good understanding and network in the Mobile telecoms industry
- Good understanding of and network in central and local government
- Good understanding of the urban innovation landscape and technologies