Purpose of the role
Connected Places Catapult is a not for profit organisation partially funded by Government. Our business plan relies on us developing relationships with commercial organisations and delivering projects and we are now looking to expand into new areas of industry. This role heads a small Business Development team with a focus on developing new commercial revenues that also promote UK business, particularly from the development of SMEs. In addition, this role leads the Bids & Tender team ensuring process, governance and quality of submissions enable a successful win ratio.
The Catapult services a wide range of commercial partners and stakeholders (Government, Academia, SMEs, and Large Corporates), often working together as a consortium. This role brings focus in leading, from concept to contract, a wide range of innovative services for those clients, ranging from research, to proposition and proof of concept development. The role’s contribution is measured by new revenues and meeting KPI’s the company has in its commitment to Government.
• Direct the new business sales strategy and approach with a specific focus on commercial stakeholders, ensuring CPC corporate strategic aims are aligned and contributing to corporate strategy as required.
• Lead uncovering new market opportunities, specifically in the commercial environment. This will involve interacting with and building a network of contacts to create viable relationships that secure revenue, whilst maintaining the Catapult neutrality and delivering desire outcomes and outputs.
• Achieve individual and collective revenue and KPI targets, including a robust future pipeline.
• Work with the wider organisation including Commercial, Finance and Delivery in the definition and transition to delivery of new opportunities to target and time.
• Through managing the team, within CPC governance, ensure that successful bids, proposals and propositions are built and secured, based on our people, systems, services, and products. Achieved by working with customers, partners, and consortia as well as CPC colleagues.
• Negotiate and win necessary opportunities either as CPC or with partners
• Drive the ongoing development, adoption, and successful management of the CRM system.
• Represent CPC to relevant stakeholders, internal and external and at public events. This includes providing strategic advice as required to the Corporate Management Team, CPC Board (or relevant sub-committees).
• Provide leadership, mentoring and development to the team by role modelling standards of professional conduct, commercial acumen, coaching and mentoring team members, cascading and managing towards objectives, and managing towards high performance.
• Work collaboratively with leadership team colleagues, providing advice and input to operational and strategic plans.
• Be responsible for ensuring corporate information is properly cascaded to team members as required, and business confidential information is maintained appropriately.
• This role will require some travel and management of teams across multiple locations.
• You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required skills and experience:
• Significant experience and skills at C-Suite negotiations in the context of a multi-faceted decision-making, relationship management, bids, proposals, and tenders
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to define and deliver a supply strategy with customer/account planning
• Ability to identify, qualify, negotiate, and close
• Leadership of people / teams
• Successful Sales or Relationship Management experience at strategic major account level, selling complex services
• Proven proposition development and delivery experience in B2B, new and emerging technologies, services, systems, and products
• Extensive experience of commercial bids, proposals, and tenders
• Presentation and customer facing activities
• Have a strong network of potential clients in the Places or Transport industry.
• Active use of social channels to support the business content strategy and demonstrate credible leadership
• Some knowledge of new and emerging technologies
• Some knowledge of SME and Academia as a potential audience
• Some knowledge of working with and for Government organisations
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org