Purpose of the role
The Connected Places Catapult accelerates smarter living and travelling in and between the places of tomorrow. We focus on growing businesses with innovations in mobility services and the built environment that enable new levels of physical, digital and social connectedness. We operate at the intersection between public and private sectors and between local government and transport authorities. We convene the disparate parts of the market to help innovators navigate the complexity of doing business, creating new commercial opportunities and improving productivity, socio-economic and environmental benefits for places.
We are seeking an experienced Business Analyst to join our Economics & Impact Team. The role will provide high-quality data analysis, qualitative research, reporting, commercial and business intelligence on new technologies across a number of domains, including mobility and the built environment.
This will include building an understanding of market dynamics and producing actionable exploitation plans to guide the commercialisation of new technological and service developments, whilst also measuring the market impact. You will conduct market investigations to identify market and business needs and quantify market opportunities, providing the strategic analysis to support the develop of value propositions, business models and route-to-market strategies that meet market requirements and maximise market opportunities.
You will be required to input into all stages of projects, from proposal and bid content, to project deliverables. Working with CPC partners including SMEs, to guide business model evaluation and innovation, advising on the feasibility, desirability and viability of business models.
The Economics & Impact Team supports project across the whole Connected Places Catapult and as such you will typically be working on multi-disciplinary projects with engineers, data scientists, planners, modellers, software developers, environmental specialists, social researchers, designers and a diverse range of external stakeholders.
- Undertake business research, analyse industry trends and data, and generate reports, briefings, presentations, and other project materials.
- Produce high quality market research content on the markets, including market size forecasts, competitive (market share) information and strategic recommendations.
- Collecting, understanding, and transmitting the business requirements for the project, and translating these into functional specifications
- To apply the use of standards, methods and tools for requirements capture, process modelling, fit-gap analysis, risk/impact evaluation, etc.
- Develop value propositions and business models for new technologies, products and services.
- Formulate roadmaps to overcome market barriers and maximise market benefits.
- Creating a detailed business analysis, outlining problems, opportunities and solutions
- Write exploitation plans to guide implementation of project findings.
- Lead investigations, stakeholder analysis, requirements analysis, feasibility studies and impact assessments.
- Lead or support the production of bids and proposals for securing external funding.
- Document workflows and results of business analysis
- Produce high quality reports and impact assessments.
Required skills and experience
- Relevant degree qualification.
- Experience of working in a commercial or business led environment.
- Thorough understanding of research methodologies and/or strategic analysis.
- Strong analytical skills with sound understanding of and passion for undertaking research.
- Ability to forge close working relationships with a commercial acumen and analytical mind.
- Demonstratable experience of methods and techniques for capturing and defining business requirements.
- Demonstrable experience of creating appropriate value propositions and designing business models.
- Consultative thinking, with a focus on delivering the story, not just the data.
- Attentive to details and showing strategic insights in the delivery of research findings
- Proficient in Business Process Analysis (as-is and to-be).
- Demonstrable evidence of analysing and documenting complex business processes.
- Advanced level use of Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Ability to work autonomously and effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to produce high quality written reports and presentations and experience of presenting to stakeholders.
- Organised, outgoing, and capable of delivering tangible results in a fast paced and creative environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to manage own time and work priorities.
- Experience of undertaking financial analysis may be useful for this role.
- Geospatial analysis is one of the key techniques that we use to understand the impact on place. Experience of undertaking geospatial analysis and working with systems such as ARC-GIS is desirable (but not essential) for this role.
- Data analysis and/or visualisation experience using python or other statistical and programming software is also desirable(but not essential) for this role.