The Bid Team’s primary focus is to form, craft and lead the submission of bids, tenders and proposals in the Connected Places Innovation space, covering both new opportunities emerging from the formation of the new Catapult, whilst also continuing to service the areas of transport systems and smart cities. The objective of the activity is to secure the award of Collaborative Research and Development (CR&D) and commercial funding, thus contributing to the revenue and KPIs requirements of the Connected Places Catapult. These projects will deliver impact to the UK economy, through the creation of jobs and/or increased revenues to UK PLC.
The Bid Team function supports the wider Catapult through:
- Dedicated management and communication of a pipeline of opportunities – from ideation through to award and project activation.
- Development and coordination of all written proposals/bids and tenders through cross-functional collaboration, maintaining internal governance processes continuously.
- Leading CR&D business development activities, liaising with consortium partners (as appropriate) in support of bid preparation and documentation completion.
- Reporting of bid activities to feed into monthly business reviews, forecasting and Board papers.
- Being custodians of the CRM and Engagement analysis to provide visibility of all external engagement and business development activities, producing data to enable effective business decisions and reporting.
- With a focus on either CR&D or Commercial proposals, the primary purpose of the Bid Manager is to:
- Facilitate the development and execution of robust bid strategies in line with the Catapult’s strategic priorities and mission.
- Own all aspects of the bid process, from identifying strategically aligned opportunities to engaging with consortium partners and internal delivery capabilities to develop robust and compelling propositions.
- Build and lead virtual bid teams from across the organisation to prepare high quality, creative and industry-leading bid submissions.
- Lead internal resources to ensure that high quality, commercially viable and compliant bids are developed, authorised and submitted on time to the highest standards.
- Ensure the smooth management of the entire bid process, working closely with Catapult colleagues to ensure clear integration with other internal processes and systems;
- Develop winning bid campaigns, identifying strategic approach, win themes and customer requirements.
- Co-ordinate the production of technical, commercial, financial and operational content for submissions.
- Review and re-draft bid content (as appropriate) to ensure consistent alignment, language, format and approach are taken when multiple parties have supplied to the content.
- Attend collaborative competition briefings, providing a company ‘pitch’ relevant to the competition scope and objectives where appropriate.
- Lead effective bid meetings with consortium partners and internal technical resource.
- Handle multiple bids at a time with competing deadlines.
- Lead the transition of successful awards into delivery, working closely with the Commercial, Finance and respective delivery team(s).
A measured, engaging and highly organised individual with excellent project management and organisation skills. The role requires excellent communication and social skills, to build valuable internal relationships that centre on collaboration and trust. The applicant will be articulate, engaging and comfortable in presenting to audiences and ‘holding a room’. The applicant will have faultless written and verbal communication skills and excellent written English. The successful individual will be able to demonstrate examples of how they bring the Catapult’s values of care, collaboration, courage and integrity to life in their everyday behaviours and results.
Demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Leading, delivering and winning collaborative research and development bids with industry such as Innovate UK and Horizon 2020.
- Working across internal and external partners to deliver successful bid submissions.
- Managing several complex and detailed bids at different stages, simultaneously and under pressure;
- Using creative approaches to identify potential bidding opportunities.
- Building and maintaining effective internal and external relationships.
- Degree-level education desirable but not essential – dependent upon experience.
- Previous experience of drafting bids and proposals
- Previous experience of working within a research environment.
- Experience of using CRM tools to record and maintain customer engagement activities/revenue opportunities.