We are looking for creative and energetic individuals, with a passion for making a difference and with the ability to contribute and accelerate the development of new mobility technologies. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of systems engineers, technologists, human factors specialists and economists helping to shape Catapult wide projects. The role would suit someone with a professional background in civil or general aviation, particularly in the planning or operational aspects of flight, air traffic management or regulations.
Specific responsibilities within this role are expected to include:
- Collaborating with government, industry and business specialists to develop a comprehensive Unmanned Aerial Vehicle deployment strategy, which can include opportunity assessment, portfolio strategy, identifying market barriers and future capability needs.
- Working in multi-disciplinary teams to share, propose, communicate and implement programs – intensive, high impact engagements, harnessing latest agile ways of working and leveraging design-based thinking.
- Analysing industry context, interviewing key client stakeholders, building and facilitating workshops to develop and implement UAV visions, roadmaps and governance to address today’s business needs and support future growth.
- Enabling industry to build the required capabilities for growth and innovation in order to address market barriers and create opportunity.
- Developing detailed and actionable business cases and plans which deliver the impact that we would like to achieve.
- Lead and participate in business development by identifying opportunities, leading and contributing to proposals and bidding activity as required
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all functions within CPC and external delivery partners to optimise beneficial working relationships
- Represent the CPC at relevant industry events, conferences and meetings where and when appropriate.
In addition, your responsibilities may include supporting technical team leaders and line managers in their performance management responsibilities for team members, helping to identify skills gaps and supporting upskilling / training of team members.
Required skills and experience
- Experience of working in a flexible, delivery-focused environment
- Experience in business case and strategy development
- Significant experience in either an industry or regulatory role in civil or general aviation and knowledge of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Understanding of relevant standards and regulations in the domain of flight operations and air traffic management including UAVs
- Strong technical leadership and organisational skills with close attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate clearly across diverse levels of understanding
- Ability to produce high quality, impactful written reports and presentations
- Educated to a degree level in a technical discipline
The role will often require coping with ambiguity and being prepared to refine scope of task before commencing work.
- Further, relevant postgraduate (MSc/PhD) qualification.
- Member of appropriate Professional Institution
- Highly effective communicator with a high standard of written English and ability to communicate complex concepts to expert and non-expert audiences
- Proven ability to establish relationships and work with a wide range of external stakeholders (e.g. industrial, government, academic)
- A self-starter, able to work without supervision and make strategic level decisions.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, and ability to turn into focused outputs
- A passion for delivering a cleaner, greener transport system which ensures clean air in our cities and contributes to the UK’s 2050 ‘net zero’ carbon target
- Able to teach, guide and coach others in technical tasks and delegate appropriately