Purpose of the role
One of the most important roles of the Catapults to inspire, support and catalyse the innovation base to work with and listen to industry needs. At CPC we believe that helping academics, students and SMEs to create growth for the UK is crucial and by understanding their strengths and weaknesses we can create an environment where UK Universities lead the world. To help businesses to grow faster, create better products and services, and grow their market share by enabling access to the best UK innovators in academia and SMEs.
The role will require the successful candidate to support the SME Development & Academic Engagement Team to communicate and support opportunities that will help academia and SMEs to innovate and grow, support academia and SME-focussed events and work with the wider CPC team to disseminate successes.
This will require the individual to assist in managing the Academic and SME (innovator) Communities for the CPC, from the point of first contact to successful implementation of opportunities that could lead to commercialisation of innovate products and services.
- Working within the SME Development and AE Team, delivering key activities and projects that enable the development of SMEs in line with the Catapult strategy.
- Ensuring all SME and AE engagements and the impact they have a clearly and accurately recorded in the Catapult’s CRM, with all necessary details to ensure accurate reporting to our funder.
- Working directly with innovative SMEs, academia and other key stakeholders to drive economic and business growth in line with the Catapult strategy including the acceleration and incubation of innovation and thought leadership in the sector. Delivering a discrete programme of work directed at SME development and academic engagement including but not necessarily limited to projects, events, capability building, networking, and other engagement activities.
- Prepare communications and market the programme effectively to ensure a high level of market resonance for the Catapult’s role in developing innovators in the sector. Working with all areas of the business to ensure the promotion and support of opportunities.
- Deliver activities within the SME development and academic engagement programmes that can demonstrate measurable economic impact and the development of businesses in line with the Catapult strategy, including but not limited to the collection and analysis of SME impact data that will reveal the value of our interventions and contribute evidence for the realisation of key KPIs, and data related to the impact of Academic Engagement propositions in ecosystem development
- To be a key point of contact for all innovator-focussed events and communications, working closely with the Marketing and Events team to ensure that the Catapult delivers quality, well attended events which generate impact.
- Take a pro-active approach to improving existing processes that will facilitate a seamless customer experience and leverage impact both for the CPC and for the businesses and academic community members we work with.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree qualifications in business administration, economics or related field, or the equivalent professional experience.
- Demonstrable prior experience delivering programmes of work that have clear business and/or economic growth outcomes.
- Demonstrable prior experience in capability building for business including the incubation and acceleration of small innovation businesses, enabling businesses to scale and in support of innovative start-up enterprises.
- Understanding of the UK Higher Education landscape, including the role of the UKRI and the constituent Research Councils and nation specific bodies in the funding and policy landscape. Awareness of the knowledge exchange framework would be advantageous
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, with the capability to ensure clarity and adapt messages to different stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and securing of income and project-based work.
- The capability to organise and prioritise your work in line with expected deliverables and deadlines, including demonstrating a high level of attention to detail and quality in work deliverables.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter, quoting the relevant job role you are applying for, to: firstname.lastname@example.org